NQA Show; Columbus

I remember my first trip to the National Quilting Association show in Columbus and being totally overwhelmed, and to be honest, a little awe struck. “National” is the operative word, with quilts on display from all over the United States, and many foreign countries as well. The talent is beyond belief, both in those who are exhibiting quilts, as well as the folks who put on the event. Just read the resumes of the teachers and judges, and you know that quilting is serious business.

And it is not only the show itself, but the sheer numbers of people sharing similar interests is something to see. Coupled with the exhibit are vendors selling everything your quilting heart could desire, from fabric to patterns to glitz to quilting machines…if they don’t got it, you don’t need it. There are certified appraisers available if you want to see what your quilt is worth. This is a serious issue, especially when trying to insure it.

Finally, the NQA becomes a quilting university, with classes offered all day long all week long, both at the Convention Center and other venues in Columbus. Teachers are brought in from all over the country, and you can hone your skills from technical stitches to artistry. The teachers are true quilt experts, who will wow you with not only their skill, but many interesting stories. Classes are also a good place to meet quilters from all over the country, and see what is going on in other areas of the United States, plus get to know some really nice and interesting people.

This is the second year I have exhibited at the NQA show. It is technically not a juried show, but it is limited to 400 entries with stringent rules that will thin out the crowd. It is a well oiled machine, with some of the ladies having worked there for years. From check in to check out, you follow the protocol. Last year, I brought my display quilt down and had them ship it back… it was back at my house by the Tuesday after the event.

This year, because of the nature of the quilt that I entered, I drove it down and went back to Columbus the following weekend to pick it up, $4.00 gas notwithstanding!! There is too much of me in my quilt to leave the return trip to Fed Ex!!

There are a number of different categories in which to enter you quilt for individuals as well as quilts made by groups. Some of the categories are Bed Quilts, pieced; Bed quilts, appliquéd; Wall Quilts, pieced; Pictorial Quilts, pieced; and so forth.

My quilt, Remembering Home, was entered in a catch-all category called “Other”, which accepted quilts that didn’t fit neatly into any of the categories. Many of you have seen the quilt which is a history of my family going back to the 1790's. One of the judges called it a “history” quilt, teaching me another “term of art” for a certain type of quilting. I was thrilled to find out I finished 3rd in my category, and in addition received one of 6 special ribbons offered by the NQA. Mine was for embellishment. Pictures of all of the winning quilts will be posted shortly on the NQA website, and will remain there for the year.

This was very special to me, especially since the quilt represented my family and nine years of work putting the quilt together. Although one can always hope, my chances of repeating such an honor again in my lifetime are probably slim to none, making this NQA Quilt show one I will remember the rest of my life. If you haven’t made the effort to attend the NQA show in Columbus, make the effort next year. And if you can, take some of the classes. It is an exceptional experience, and really fun time.

By the way, Martini’s is an Italian restaurant across from the Convention Center on High Street. It is a tad pricey, but the food is great. Also visit the Farmers Market in back of the Hampton Inn, also across the street. Good Eatin’!

No comments: